Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sister Sandpaper!

One of the first things that the Lord had to deal with me on was my attitude. What better way than to send "Sister sandpaper" into my life to help deal with some of my 'tudes'. One day I had been reading and studying the five fruits of the spirit that Christians ought to walk in: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness. All of which I thought I operated in already as a non-Christian, until I met me a"Sister sandpaper". It's one thing to read the Word, but it's a another thing to practice what you read!

One of my first new friends-- a "Sister Sandpaper!" Man, let me tell you, it seemed like whenever we would get together, she just knew how to rub me the wrong way. Whether it was in what she said, or did, or sometimes her unsolicited advice would just annoy the heck out of me and I'd leave thinking to myself, man, what's up with that! I don't need that relationship in my life---she's a Christian? Ewww!

Sandpaper can do one or two things. It can either rub you raw or it can polish you. When you begin to get rubbed, you will look at that person and say, "Wow, I was doing just fine until I met you," and think that the person is your problem. Actually, that person is not your problem. Circumstances do not create problems, circumstances will only reveal problems you already have. They just reveal attitudes of the heart and it will come to the surface eventually.

Oh boy, did Sister Sandpaper help bring many of my attitudes of the heart to the surface! Did I like being around Sister Sandpaper? No, as a matter of fact, I wanted to avoid her. But, because we were in the same circle of friends at the time, we frequently saw one another. What sister sandpaper did for me was made me aware of what I needed to work on and fix and not blame other people for the lack of the fruit that I had in my life.

I was believing for a new friend, and boy I guess I didn't pray specifically for what kind of friend!
Eventually, Sister Sandpaper moved on and we no longer were in contact. I realized that people come into your life for a season and a reason and the Lord allowed her to be in my life to help grow me and to deal with my own attitudes. I'm not all there--but let me say, Boy, have I grown since my encounter with a Sister Sandpaper! Why is attitude so important? Because our attitudes determines our altitude in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment