Friday, November 28, 2008

A Profound Thanksgiving Letter for Mom & Dad

Thanksgiving gratitude letters are an annual tradition for our children to write and read at dinner to the family the eve before we head to Wisconsin to be with the rest of the relatives.

I am collecting the letters and putting them in a binder so that they will one day look back at all the things that they were grateful for growing up. I love to re-read them the following year as well. This year, we were pleasantly surprised by our daughter's gratitude letter, as it wasn't the usual giving of thanks (for provision, each member of family, things, health, etc). Instead, there was a twist we hadn't expected considering her age (15). It was a profound reflection from her heart. With permission, my daughter Megan again, has agreed to let me share her thoughts with you:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As sung by Chris Martin, “Those who are dead are not dead; they’re just living in my head”. Although this may seem to be so odd a statement, it is actually quite accurate. People are truly not dead if their legacies live on. There are many individuals God used to further His purpose. This Thanksgiving, I thought it would be appropriate to write and explain the things in this world that I am thankful for. However, instead of the traditional “I’m thankful for my mom, my dad” etc, I decided to take a different approach and thank what 'lives' but does not breathe- the legacies that so many left behind on this earth to never be forgotten.

I am thankful for the many people who devoted there life to true liberty- even at the consequence of death. To them, what was worse then dying and going to heaven was being accountable for others dying and going to hell. Individuals like John Wycliffe, Martin Luther, and William Tyndale. If it weren’t for them, the gospel would still be hidden from the people. If the gospel was still hidden, there would be no need for America and I wouldn’t even be born. (Megan)

@2008 A Cup of Tea with Duong

1 comment:

  1. Duong, how blessed were you by her letter!!! I first LOVE the idea!! And don't you love how our kids through twists! What a beautiful letter. Woman, I can see that you have raised a wise young lady. I hope she will join in with the new ChristianGirlsConnect soon!

    ReplyDelete